Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Week 64 Elder Hatch, Elder Eteaki, and Elder Polier

Aloha Family,

Well here I sit and email you from the mission office. Man how the city is different. I am really starting to like it. I am in the Honolulu zone which is sweet. We live in an apartment building just down from the Univesity of Hawaii which is pretty cool. Our zone has 14 elders and two sisters. The assistants are technically included in our zone as well. It is really awesome we get to spend a lot of time with them and see them everyday. We see the senior couples in the office all the time as well so that is pretty cool. The mission office is in my zone so we come here quite often to do things here and there. Yes we still have a car. Brand new corolla again so I can't complain about that.

Well it turns out that Elder Eteaki and I are an excellent match. We get along great. But there was one thing that Pres. failed to mention to me before I emailed you last week and that is that Elder Eteaki and I are TRAINING!!!. Yes you heard that right. His name is Elder Polier and he is from Oregon. So we get to do our zone leader responsibilities and train. We work his guts out and he comes home at night and just lays on his bed because he is so exhausted. We want to show him how to work so when he leaves us he will be ready. It came as a little bit of a shock to me but I am used to being in a threesome now. Elder Eteaki and I really hit it off and I am so so so excited to be with a Tongan comp again. They are such amazing people I love them to death. Speaking of Tongans, Elder Nau got named a zl so I was super stoked about that. I was so happy for him and all that he is achieving in his mission. Some of my greastest joy is when I see those around me that I have served with succeed.

I can't tell you how much I am still enjoying my mission. The city is really different but really good. Oh by the way my new area is the Manoa Valley part of downtown all the way to Waikiki which is red zone and St. Louis Heights so it is pretty sweet. It is really pretty nice and I get the best of both worlds, part city and part suburbs. So I will give you a little more on my comps I guess really quick. E. Eteaki is from cali in the bay area. He is one of the hardest working missionaries out here and I have looked up to him my whole mission so I am super excited to be with him. He has been out 17 months so not to much longer than me. He has served most of the same places as me; Kauai, Maui, Laie and here so that is cool. Elder Polier is a very big kid he is very nice. I think he is still a little shell shocked right now but he will settle in.

Last week I told you that we barely missed vision 100, well I lied and I have repented. We got it right on the dot again!! It is so amazing the Lord is blessing us so much and is really blessing the people of Hawaii. Something else that is interesting and down right sad is that I have been out the second longest in my zone next to Elder Eteaki. We are the two oldest missionaries in our zone, crazy. He has been helping me with my Tongan. It is funny he knows I can understand so if he has a question for me at a members house he will ask me in tongan. It is awesome. I will bear my testimony in tongan when I get home.

I know that it was a lot but there was a lot to report on. I love you all so much. Man I love this work!! It is so amazing the change you can see in people and especially myself. I was too prideful at home but I have rid myself of a lot of it on the mission. It doesn't matter what we have in the world. What matters is our family and our friends and staying close to them. I know I don't tell you enough but I love you all so much. I love the Book of Mormon. I am learning more from it now more than ever. I know that we can become better people from reading it. A very wise man told me it is not just another testament of Jesus Christ, it is the best testament of Jesus Christ. Well enough rambling for tonight. I love you all very much.

Zig

3 comments:

Unknown said...

His email made me cry this week. What a good, kind, and strong young man he is. We are blessed to have him in our family.

onlymehere said...

My son just arrived in Hawaii to serve his mission! These two may run into each other. I remember your name from the missionary mom's email group. I'm not on that anymore though. I have a sewing blog at http://justanotherdayinparadisesewing.blogspot.com/ that's public. I'd love to get to know you better. The day after my son arrived in Honolulu he got on another plane and was sent to Kauai so that's where he's serving right now with an Elder Major. We call our son Elder Travis on the internet for privacy but he has a different last name. I look forward to getting to know you!

Joan said...

Wow! He just keeps growing and growing spiritually...He is amazing! I am glad that he loves his new area and companions too. :)